How to Change Your Eye Color With Honey – The Ultimate Guide
Did it ever cross your mind to change the shade of your eyes? Did you wonder how you would look like if your eyes are as blue as Europeans? It may sound impossible. However, recent research indicates that it is possible. You may either choose a removable contact lens or a more permanent surgical procedure. Although there are invasive ways to alter the natural hue of your iris, many still prefer the natural way. In fact, one of the most recent methods is using a common household item - honey. In this article, I will give you a blow by blow detail on how to change your eye color with honey. Read on to discover its benefits and side-effects.
Expectations vs. Reality
Before you get too excited imagining your eyes comparable to that of Taylor Swift, hold your horses for a while. You must understand that there is virtually no way you can naturally change your eye color. Hey Doctor says the shade of your eyes depends on two major factors:
- Melanin - this substance makes your hair, skin, and iris dark. Medical Daily says the amount of this pigment on your iris will determine its shade. Thus, the more melanin you have in your system, the darker your eyes will be. In short, it plays a similar role like it does on our skin.
- Genetics - GB Health Watch says genetics play a vital role in determining the hue of your iris. Apparently, the genes from your parents are the determining factors. So unless you have a European descent with HERC2 gene, your chances of having blue eyes is next to nil.
With this information, you can set the right outlook about the results. Now that we’ve put this to bed, it's time to focus our attention to Winnie Pooh’s favorite - honey.
The Other Side of Sweetness
Honey is a famous household item in many countries all over the world. It is the product when the nectar from flowers naturally breaks into simple sugar. Of course, bees plays an important role in gathering them. Over the years, the use of honey transcended with the discovery of its medical benefits. Organic Facts says medical uses of honey includes:
- Healthier option for sugar
- Energy booster
- Immune System Builder
- Antibacterial and Antifungal
- Brain Stimulator
With regard to altering the natural color of your eyes, it's a different story. Apparently, honey contains a certain amount of a compound called Hydrogen Peroxide. PubChem describes it as a strong oxidizing agent that has the presence of melanin. As a result, it acts as a bleaching agent that lightens the shade of your iris.
Possible Side Effects
Despite the fact that honey is a natural substance, side effects are still inevitable if you use it incorrectly. Although unfavorable effects only cover eye irritation and infection, it is still prudent to exercise extra caution.Honey’s natural acidity is the main cause of side effects.
The Honey website says its pH is around 3.9. On the other hand, the human eye is slightly basic at 7.5. Therefore, this sweet, viscous liquid can be harsh to your eyes if it is in strong concentrations. However, you can simply dilute honey with water to lessen its strength.
Changing Eye Color Naturally With Honey
Now, we’ve come to the part that you’ve been excited about. Here’s the step by step guide in lightening your eye color using honey:
One good thing about this natural method is the fact that you only need two things - honey and water:
Honey - although this is very much available in your favorite grocery store, you just can’t buy any kind of honey. Beauty Clue says pure Raw Beech honeydew or Manuka honey is the one type that does the trick. In addition, highly commercialized brands contain impurities and additives that remove the natural essence of honey. For example, they contain sugar, extenders, and preservatives that you may not know about. As a result, you may experience discomfort after using the product in your eyes.
Pro Tip: How will you know if the honey is pure? Green Prophet suggests the following:
- Drop the honey in a glass of water. If it dissolves by itself, then it is artificially made.
- Drop a small amount of honey on a sandy ground. If it remains intact and doesn’t spread, then it's pure.
- Place the honey in your fridge and leave it there for a few days. If some crystals form inside the bottle, additives are present. Meaning, it is far from being a pure honey.
Water - just like honey you cannot simply use any kind of water. Remember, you will use it in your eyes. Thus, any contamination may result in unwanted effects. Also, Skin Care Org recommends using distilled water. Apparently, the distillation process makes it free from any pathogens or bacteria. In addition, impurities removal also happens during distillation.
Aside from water and honey, you also need to prepare a container where you will place the prepared solution. Hence, I suggest buying a new eye-drop bottle available in medical supplies stores. On the other hand, if you have an empty eye drop bottle, you may wash it properly and allow it to dry.
2. Making an Eye Drop Solution
To make a honey-water eye drop solution, simply follow these procedures:
- First, heat the distilled water until it is lukewarm. Lukewarm water is about 40 degrees Celsius or 105 degrees Fahrenheit
- Once the water reaches the target temperature, add in honey. You may initially use 1:2 honey to water ratio. If this concentration is too strong for your eyes, you may further dilute it up to 1:5 proportion. Similarly, you may increase the concentration as long as you stick to the strongest proportion. Using 100% honey is extremely dangerous to your eyes
- Next, stir the solution until it becomes homogenized
- Then, allow the mixture to cool to room temperature
- Finally, transfer the prepared solution to the eye dropper bottle and store in a cool, dry place. Also, be sure to keep it away from sunlight as it may alter the behavior of the solution.
The New Health Advisor suggests placing 2-3 drops of the prepared honey-water solution on your eyes. For faster results, you may do this 2-3 times a day. An ideal time for application is in the morning after you wake up, at noon and finally before bedtime.
Just like getting rid of excess fats, lightening your eye color takes time. I’ve known some friends who didn’t see any visible results until the end of the 3rd month. Hence, you need extra patience. Others will say that this method is ineffective simply because they easily gave up. On the other hand, if you’re planning to increase the concentration of the mixture further, then stop right there. Stronger concentration may cause extreme burning sensation to your eyes. This is because of the acidic nature of honey. So, just sit back, relax and follow whatever is prescribed and allow nature take its course.
Remember, there are side effects in using honey to change your eye color. There are two main reasons for this:
Very high concentration of honey
Some people want to speed up the results by increasing the honey to water ratio. In fact, some don’t even dilute it with distilled water. However, this is counter-productive. As what we’ve learned, honey is acidic while your eyes are basic. Overly concentrated honey can cause eye irritation and redness.
Contaminated water or honey
If you use contaminated honey in preparing for the eye drop solution, you’re in serious trouble of eye infection. In the same manner, using tap or unpurified water is very dangerous. Always remember that your eye is a naked part of your body. Therefore, whatever you put in it must be clean and sterile.
The moment you experience any of these side effects, I highly recommend to stop using the prepared solution. More importantly, you need to see your doctor immediately and ask for medication.
There’s nothing wrong in wanting to change your eye color. However, you need to equip yourself with the right information in order to avoid adverse effects. More importantly, always do everything in moderation. Change is never an overnight process. It takes time and more patience. If everything else is done properly, you’ll reap the fruits of your hard work through favorable results. Finally, make it a habit of exercising extra caution in dealing with your body.
Did you learn something new in this article? Have you also tried changing your eye color using honey? Did it work for you? We will be glad to know your thoughts and inputs. So, please feel free to leave a comment below. Also, help us spread these amazing ideas by sharing this article with your social network.